Medical marijuana is expensive. Is it not uncommon for me to spend upwards of $150 per month on getting my medicine. Being the penny pincher that I am, I am always looking for a way to save some money. In the past I have found ways to conserve water by purchasing rain barrels, cut out cable by building an internet-based home theater system, and found ways to extend the gas capabilities on my car.
Thus, it was only natural for me to consider growing my own medical pot. Any initial upfront cost could be offset by future gains. Of course, there is that upfront cost, and I do not have a green thumb at all. I would need the knowledge and the means to get this done, but this could all be overcome by looking up the information online.
So what are the overall pros and cons to growing my own medicine?
Here is the list I compiled and am debating at the moment:
- Pro: Getting a higher amount of medical marijuana for my money (I can have up to 12 plants under the laws in my state).
- Con: Upfront cost of setting up equipment (I have heard it can cost more than $300 to start).
- Pro: It is legal in my state to grow my own plants.
- Con: I do not have a lot of cultivation experience.
- Pro: The ability to grow my own strains to suit my own tastes.
- Con: The risk of having someone break into my house to steal my stash.
I am still struggling with the idea of growing my own cannabis, and really don’t know which way to go. I love my caregiver, and he gives me a lot of great stuff such as free edibles. With that being said, it is pretty pricey to get my medicine through him.
What route do you think I should go? Should I grow my own or stick with my caregiver?